For this kick-off craft, you will make a paper chain of heart-shaped links. This activity is based on 2 Peter 3:9 and 1 Corinthians 13:4. God shows His love for us by being patient with us. We can show our love for others by being patient with them, as God is.
Patience heart chain
- Write your selected memory verse on a heart-shaped piece of paper. Use this paper as a starting point for a paper chain of heart-shaped links.
- To make a chain link heart, cut a strip of construction paper 2 cm wide and 30 cm long. Fold it in half. Staple it 0.5 to 1 cm above the fold to make the bottom point of the heart. Open the paper so it makes the shape of the letter “V.” Bring the outside edges of the V together to form the upper curves of the heart. Staple these ends together 0.5 to 1 cm from their ends to complete the heart.
- Start your chain with one heart-shaped link. On it, write “God loves you.” Tell your children one of the ways God shows His love for us is by being patient with us.
- Read 2 Peter 3:9:
“The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”
- Add another link to the first one with the words “I love you.” Tell your children you love them and that we can show our love for others by being patient with them, too. Read 1 Corinthians 13:4a.
- Add a heart shaped link each time you find more ways you can demonstrate love to others by being patient.
- Record on the paper hearts the way the family member showed patience as it is added to the chain. For example, a child waiting patiently for a parent to serve his/her meal shows Mom and Dad the child loves them. Write, “_________ waited patiently for supper to be served. He/She showed Mom he/she loves her.”
To review, read through the chain link hearts and recall the instances when family members demonstrated love by being patient with each other. Pray and thank God for the ways He has helped family members to be patient.